ANNOUNCEMENT

Hi,

As you can see some of the photos are not working. I'm currently trying to retrieve those photos by exporting everything in Google Photos/Picasa. I'll fix it soon.


Sunday, November 9, 2014

China - Home of Asia's Biggest Tennis Tournaments

Shanghai Rolex Masters Poster

China Open Tennis

If ever you don't know, I'm a huge tennis fan. It's my dream to see Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams play. China's the only country in Asia to host top tier tournaments.  China Open in Beijing is a Premier Mandatory tournament for women while Shanghai Rolex Masters is a ATP Master Series for the men.  China Open attracts both Men and Women however not all men plays there.  Shanghai Rolex Masters on the otherhand is exclusive for Men.  Almost all top players play there.  If you're a fan of WTA go to China Open, ATP go to Shanghai Rolex Masters, ATP&WTA China Open.
My 1st trip to China

Cebu Pacific, a local budget carrier, always have promotions every now and then. Luckily, last 11/11/11, I was able to get a cheap deal to Shanghai just in time for the Shanghai Rolex Masters.  I booked a flight that departs on a Thursday which is ideal for me because may school ends on a thursday and when I arrive in Shanghai it will be just in time for the Quarterfinals of Shanghai Rolex Masters.  The second opportunity I got was in 2013 when I booked a flight to Beijing then depart from Shanghai going back. This will allow me to cover both the China Open and Shanghai Rolex Masters.
Entrance

Djokovic Practicing


My 1st Shanghai Rolex Masters was a life changing experience. It's my first time seeing all my favorite tennis players especially Novak Djokovic.

At the Entrance of China Open 2013

My 2nd visit to China was more fulfilling because I have 2 of my friends with me who helped me have a better experience. My 1st stop is China Open 2013. We didn't have any tickets yet so we just bought the ground pass worth 10 CNY or 70 PHP. This will enable you to watch matches in courts other than the Moon or Diamond Court.  

For 70 PHP you can watch tennis live!
Since it's quarterfinals day, most of the good matches are inside the stadiums. This is the reason why we relied on scalpers to get ticket for the Li Na vs. Kvitova and Serena vs. Wozniacki match. Luckily, we were able to get tickets and watch 2 awesome match. 

2nd Time in Shanghai Rolex Masters!


Learning from experience, it's always cheaper to buy scalper tickets! We went to Shanghai Rolex Masters and bought ticket from scalpers. From what I can remember, we bought it for around 700PHP for a stadium ticket with ground pass and it's good for the whole day.  When you get inside the complex, the first thing you need to do is look for the practice schedule.  This is the best way for you to see your favorite tennis players up close and get an Autograph.



Usually there's also an English version but if you can't find it. You can rely on the Seed Number or ask help in translating. If the practice is anywhere other than the Main Stadium then you can score an autograph. During our visit we were able to get autographs from the following tennis players: Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Stanislas Wawrinka, Tomas Berdych, and so on. But let me post a guide on how we were able to score an Autograph on the Big 3



First up is Roger Federer. I have to warn you because Federer is the most popular tennis player among the Chinese people. You will have to push and be a little barbaric to score an autograph with him.  The bouncer will not hesitate to push you if you try to come near him.  I myself rolled over the grass because everyone is trying to go near him. Luckily, we were able to get an autograph. If you want to see him practice, you need to be on his practice court an hour or more before his schedule.



Next is Rafael Nadal. Unlike Federer, it's easier to get an autograph with Nadal because of the lesser crowd but still a lot of crowd. I was able to get a good spot just behind him. Nadal is actually my priority because I wasn't able to see him last year.  Watching Nadal practice means I am missing Novak Djokovic's match in the stadium.  No regrets though because I was able to get an autograph from Nadal and I was able to get an autograph from Djokovic at a later time.


If you missed your favorite tennis player during practice, don't worry because there's still hope! After their match you can go to the autograph area! Usually the autograph area are for members only but you can always try to go in ;). During my 1st trip to Shanghai Rolex Masters, Djokovic went out after the match of Federer. However on my 2nd trip, he went out in the middle of the Federer match.


TIPS!!!!

  • Wait for Cebu Pacific Seat Sale!
    • Since fuel surcharge is no longer included I bet it will be cheaper now
  • Do not buy China Open/Shanghai Rolex Masters tickets in advance!
    • Trust me it's cheaper to buy from scalpers
    • A stadium ticket is accepted in all courts.
    • It's not very strict inside the stadium. You can always come closer if you want :)
  • If you want to see your favorite tennis player, WATCH THE 2ND ROUND not QF,SF,Finals
    • It will be cheaper and most of their practice session are not in the stadiums
    • Some of them will play in the outer courts.
      • I was able to watch Stanislas Wawrinka up close!
    • You'll be sure that you will see your favorite tennis player.
      • Federer was knocked out a day after we watched him in Shanghai! (3rd Rd)
  • Buy a huge tennis ball! Trust me it's a good investment
  • Don't be afraid to push or force yourself near the players. This is a once in a lifetime experience give it your all
  • Don't be too starstruck.  Everytime I ask for an autograph from Novak Djokovic I lose my mind. I forgot that I have a lot of stuff for autograph.  This is the reason why I made him sign on my huge tennis ball twice despite the fact that I also have a poster to be signed!
  • It's always better to have a buddy to help you take pictures. It's hard to take pictures and get autograph at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment