ANNOUNCEMENT

Hi,

As you can see some of the photos are not working. I'm currently trying to retrieve those photos by exporting everything in Google Photos/Picasa. I'll fix it soon.


Friday, April 10, 2015

CHI-TOWN! The Bulls!

Millennium Park Bean 

Chicago is another city in the United States wherein I spent a significant amount of time. It's located in Central Time Zone of the US (Northern Part). Being in the North, it is expected that Chicago is a very cold city. When I say very cold, it's really very cold. We should thank the Chicago Wind for contributing so much to the freezing feel of Chicago. Just to give you an idea of how cold Chicago is during Winter, try going inside a freezer and feel it. It's cold right? but Chicago is colder than that. I went there towards the end of Winter but morning temperature can drop to -20 degrees Celsius. Those were the times I wouldn't bother going out since my multiple layer clothing still can't cope up with the cold. There were times wherein I'm already wearing 2 gloves and yet my hands are still freezing nearing frostbite.  Anyway enough of the freezing introduction of Chicago. Let's start with my blog.

Welcome to CHITOWN!

Chicago was actually my 1st stop during my 2 weeks travel adventure over the United States. However, I decided to do New York first then Chicago. During my 1st night in Chicago, I just went to my friends house to drop one of my luggage and eat dinner then I immediately went back to the Union Station for my trip to New York.

Downtown ChiTown

Fast forward to my legit 1st day in Chicago. It was 8am and I'm fresh from a long trip from New York. The moment I stepped out of the Union Station, the freezing wind of Chicago welcomed me. It was so cold that all I wanted was to get inside the bus going to my friend's house. I arrived my friend's house around 9am and I decided to rest first until about 12nn before going out again.


OMW to Lake Michigan
Our first agenda was Lake Michigan and Lincoln Park because it's just a short walking distance from my friend's house.  Streets and pathways are still filled with snow because it's winter and it just snowed days before I arrived in Chicago. Anyway, we just strolled around and took pictures before going downtown to eat.




So what's for lunch? Of course, it's non other than the famous Chicago Deep Dish Pizza.  It's actually my favorite kind of pizza so I'm extremely excited to try the Deep Dish Pizza in Chicago. It's always best to try it where it originated right? or at least where it's named after haha. It was the best pizza I had for years. I'm willing to go back to Chicago and brave the freezing wind just to get a taste of this Pizza. We're very lucky because it's not very crowded and they offer lunch special (Solo Pizza, 1 Sides and Drink).
The Bean

Our next stop is of course the famous landmark of Chicago, "The Bean". It was a weekday so it's not that crowded. I suggest visiting during weekdays because weekends tend to be crowded.  Anyway, there are many good stuff/exhibits around the area. It makes Chicago a unique city.

After strolling around the Millennium Park, we decided to stroll around the Magnificent Mile. It's a looooonnngggg street filled with malls and stores. You can see Michael Jordan's steak resto, Underarmour, F21, Uniqlo, and other good stores. It's similar to Orchard Road in Singapore but the architecture is IMO better.  Trump tower is also along the road.

After strolling in Magnificent Mile, we decided to go back home and do some shopping in Walmart. We had a good chat over the night before we call it a day.

The famous transparent floor.

My 2nd full day in Chicago was spent all by myself. My 1st agenda was of course the Chicago SkyDeck. It's actually the usual skyscraper wherein you need to pay just to go up the top floor. However, what makes this Skydeck unique is the transparent edge seen above. It's really scary because when you look down you will really see what's below you. I myself had a hard time sitting down. It is not recommended for people with heights phobia.


After my trip to Skydeck, I decided to eat lunch at Panda Express because I'm very hungry and I'm very lazy to look for a good restaurant.  I immediately went to Buckingham Fountain afterwards and stroll at the lakeside.  The view was phenomenal however, I didn't like the fact that it's full of dog poop all over the place.  Beware of dog poop underneath the beautiful white snow LOL. The Buckingham Fountain was not operational because it's obviously freezing.


I tried going back to the bean but it's obviously crowded compared to the last time I've been there. People are everywhere. So I decided to just go back to Magnificent Mile to check out some stores and rest in Marriott hehe. After that, I decided to go home to rest and prepare for my next destination.

Next stop was the Snow Storm Music Festival in Navy Pier. It's a music festival wherein there will be several DJs playing while everyone is dancing their asses off. It was a fun party to cap off the night. ;)

My 1st agenda for my 3rd Day was to meet my best friend's sister. She took me out for lunch in Evanston, IL.  My best friend was unfortunately now based in San Diego, CA so I wasn't able to meet her. Hopefully, when I go to SoCal I'll be able to spend a day with her.  Anyway after my Lunch, I met up with my college friend Kathlene who took me around Chicago and some of the suburbs.





We went around Navy Pier, Glenview, and of course United Center. She brought me to her workplace and I was able to see Kraft Food's Headquarters.  She explained to me how's life in Chicago and what makes it better than other city or the Philippines. I had a great time. More talking than taking pictures haha.


I'm leaving Chicago at 10am so I don't have much time anymore to go around. I decided to just buy Garretts Popcorn before heading to the Union Station for my departure in Chicago en route to St. Louis, MO.


No comments:

Post a Comment